Gen.Kdo. Fliegerkorps IX
Gen.Kdo. Fliegerkorps IX
(FpN: L 32688)
Gen.d.Flieger Joachim Coeler (16 Oct 40 - 29 Dec 42)
Gen.d.Flieger Stefan Fröhlich (29 Dec 42 - 4 Sep 43)
Gen.Maj. Dietrich Peltz (4 Sep 43 - 12 Nov 44)
Gen.Maj. Dietrich Peltz (26 Jan 45 - 8 May 45)
Luftflotte 2(16 Nov 40 - May 41)
Luftflotte 3(Jun 41 - Sep 44)
Luftflotte Reich(Sep 44 - Nov 44)
Luftflotte 10(Nov 44 - Jan 45)
Luftflotte Reich(Jan 45 - Apr 45)
Luftwaffenkdo. West(May 45)
Ln.-Abt. 39 (Nov 40 - Jan 45)
Formation. (Nov 40)
Formed on or about 16 November 1940 at Blomendaal/Holland by renaming and expanding Stab/9. Fliegerdivision, and assigned to Luftflotte 2. The first reference to the change in designation in KTB/OKW did not occur until 23 October 1940. Although taking part to the fullest extent in conventional night bombing operations, IX. Fliegerkorps specialized in anti-shipping and mine laying in the Channel and in the North Sea. From June 1941 it was the only Fliegerkorps in the West until 1944. Under Luftflotte 3 from June 1941 to 1944.
West. (Nov 40 - Sep 44)
May 41: Stab still at Blomendaal.
2 Jul 41: Stab now at Franc Port near Soissons. Some published sources state that Franc Port was a castle near Compiégne.
29 Dec 42: Stab transferred to Compiégne.
Oct 43: Stab transferred from Compiégne to Le Coudray-en-Thelle (Le Coudray-sur-Thelle?), just south of Beauvais.
Aug 44: Stab transferred from Le Coudray to Eindhoven/Holland in mid-August.
25 Aug 44: Stab transferred from Eindhoven to Zeist/Holland.
14 Sep 44: Stab transferred from Zeist to Bad Essen/Germany and reassigned to Luftflotte Reich.
17 Nov 44: Stab transferred from Bad Essen to Wasserburg/50 km E of Munich.
23 Nov 44: Wasserburg - renamed Gen.Kdo. IX. Fliegerkorps (J) in accordance with plans to convert it from bombers to fighters, the “(J)” standing for “Jagd” or “Jäger”. There is much confusion concerning the date and place of formation. The date given here may have been the date of the order with actual formation taking place at Prague with effect from 26 January 1945. The date of assignment for nearly all of the 48 mid- and higher grade officers who comprised the Stab was 26 January. Additionally, Peltz remained in command and the Feldpost number was retained. The time gap between 23 November and 26 January has never been adequately explained, although the continuity of command, location and Feldpost address tends to support the assumption that these were one and the same and simply underwent a name change because of a change in mission.
1 Jan 45: Nachrichtenführer (chief signals officer)/IX.Fliegerkorps (J) at Wasserburg. This tends to support the continuity theory given above.
26 Jan 45: Stab transferred from Wasserburg to Treuenbrietzen near Berlin on or about this date. Some sources have it moving from Wasserburg to Prague in December or early January, but this cannot be confirmed.
17 Feb 45: Stab at Treuenbrietzen - assumed all responsibilities of the disbanded I. Jagdkorps effective this date, subordinating 1., 2., 3., 7, and 8. Jagddivisionen.
7 Apr 45: Stab still at Treuenbrietzen.
3 May 45: Stab now at Prague-Ruzyne under Luftwaffenkdo. West.
© H.L. deZeng IV, 2023
Return to Commands
- G.Tessin- Verbände und Truppen der Deutschen Wehrmacht und Waffen-SS 1939-1945. Teil 14: Die Luftstreitkräfte; W.Ramsey (ed.)-The Blitz Then and Now (volumes 2 and 3); KTB/OKW 1940-1941 Teilband I, p.125.
- PRO London: AIR 40 Air Ministry intelligence reports and lists based on ULTRA, “Y” Service intercepts, captured documents and PoW interrogations.
- U.Balke-KG 2/Teil 1:22; P.Grimm et al – Vliegvelden in Oorlogstijd (2009), p.43.
- Balke:292; AFHRA Maxwell: decimal 512.619 British AirMin P/W interrogations, ADI(K) series, microfilm rolls A5400-05, interrogations; NARA WashDC: RG 242 (T-971:8/544; T-971:18).
- PRO London: DEFE 3 ULTRA signal.
- ULTRA; Tessin; ADI(K).
- Tessin; ADI(K); S.Radtke-KG 54:220; K.Mehner/R.Teuber- Die deutsche Luftwaffe 1939-1945: Führung und Truppe.
- Tessin; M.Holm-website ww2.dk.
- ULTRA signal BT5805; G.Aders-History of the German Night Fighter Force 1917-1945:175.
- U.Saft- Das Bittere Ende der Luftwaffe: “Wilde Sau” – Sturmjäger – Rammjäger – Todesflieger – “Bienenstock”:68.
- M.Rauchensteiner- Der Krieg in Österreich, 1945:361.